Step Out & Serve 2020 Recap
It’s hard to believe it’s almost been a month since our Step Out & Serve 2020 event at Shepherd’s Gate Church. Our local outreach coordinator, Ron Kuczera, spent months leading up to August 22-23 planning sites and gathering volunteers.
We want to give a big thank you to every[one] who volunteered their time, energy and equipment to serve the Metro Detroit area. Over a span of two days, our volunteers spent time helping with:
- Deck building
- Neighborhood clean up
- Packing lunches for homeless
- Making mats out of plastic bags (plarn)
- Repairing bicycles
The Michigan District even covered our Step Out event on their website. Check out the full article here.
Step Out & Serve by the Numbers
This year’s Step Out & Serve event looked a little different with COVID-19 in the air, but God never fails to exceed out expectations.
During the weekend, we had 339 volunteers who spread out across Metro Detroit among 24 different sites.
As a whole, our church members and volunteers:
- Donated 50 bikes & repaired them for youth in Detroit
- Created 68 teacher kits distributed to local teachers
- Provided 22 kits given to local first responders
- Cleaned up at least 140 yards of trash
- Distributed about 41 yards of mulch
- Drank at least 1,7000 water bottles (it was a hot weekend!)
- Made 200 sandwich lunches for homeless
As a church, we are honored to have spend $24,000 to our local community from Mission 14, our fund designated for outreach. If you volunteered this year at Step Out & Serve, or even if you did not, we ask that you continue to serve your community and influence every[where] you go.
For more information on how you can serve, contact our local coordinator, Ron, at [email protected].